Welcome to the Special Education Department!
The vision of Special Education Programs and Services in Kalamazoo Public Schools is to enable and empower our students with special needs to develop to their maximum potential in their school and community.
◦ Ensure that students with disabilities are provided access to the general education curriculum and extra -curricular activities in the regular education setting to the maximum extent possible with assistive supports
◦ Ensure the participation of all students with disabilities in state, school system, or alternative assessments
◦ Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations regarding students' annual IEP reviews, re-evaluation procedures, and periodic program updates
◦ Using state and federal guidelines to maintain timely procedures for the identification processes for students suspected of having disabilities
◦ Promote collaborative practices across educational settings between regular staff, special educators and related service providers
◦ Maintain a constant effort towards continued staff development on current educational trends and educational issues
◦ Support and facilitate parent involvement/participation in the special education process
◦ Ensure participation in and dissemination of information concerning the transition process for students with disabilities and their parents
Students who reside within KPS and who are determined eligible to receive specialized instruction or related services through the evaluation and IEP team process are provided services across a continuum of settings in order to meet their unique educational needs. Programs and services are provided throughout the district and in a variety of schools. In addition to services provided within our district, KPS works in colaboration with the Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency (KRESA) to coordinate services and programming in order to meet the needs of our students who experience more complex learning and behavioral needs. The following Programs and services are available to students within our district.
- Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- School Social Work
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Teacher Consultant Services
Student Services/Special Education
1220 Howard Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Special Education Administrators
Rikki Saunders: Director
Janine VanStee: Coordinator