• Welcome to kindergarten


    Kindergarten Enrollment 

    Students who will be five years old by Sept. 1 may enroll in kindergarten. Waivers are available for students who will be five between Sept. 1 and Dec. 1. All schools offer full-day kindergarten. Students are initially assigned to schools based on their home addresses. Enrollment forms may be completed at elementary schools. You may also start the enrollment process online then visit the school to submit the required documentation. 


    Instructions for online enrollment. 

    Enrollment for the current school year: 2023-24

    NOW OPEN: Enrollment for the 2024-25 school year

    Documents needed to enroll in Kalamazoo Public Schools:

    • Original certified birth certificate. All new enrollees, in any grade, are required to provide the district with a certified birth certificate within 30 days of enrolling. If the parent/legal guardian fails to provide a birth certificate within 30 days, the district is required by law to notify law enforcement. The original birth certificate should have a raised seal.

    • Immunization record. A copy of the student's immunization records signed by a physician or health facility must be provided. Since 1978, state law requires each new entrant to the school district to present a certificate of current immunization at the time of registration or by no later than the first day of school. In addition to the documents listed above, kindergarten students must provide proof of hearing and vision screening. Visit the Kindergarten Health Services Page for more information.

    • Two pieces of proof of residency. Students must reside with a parent or legal guardian who resides in the Kalamazoo Public School district (or they must be accepted by the district as a School of Choice 105/105c student). Proof of residency is mandatory and can consist of the following documents — as long as they list the parent or guardian’s name and street address and are dated within the last 30 days.
      • Lease agreement
      • Home purchase agreement
      • Rent receipt
      • Utility bill

    •  Court papers allocating parental rights and responsibilities, or custody. (if appropriate)