• Screening Proof of hearing and vision screening is required for kindergarten students in Michigan. Hearing and vision screenings are sometimes performed as part of a routine examination by health care providers, or they can be done at the Kalamazoo County Human Services Department free of charge. To schedule an appointment for a free screening, call (269) 373-5031. Completion of a Dental Health Assessment is also a requirement for incoming kindergarten registrants.


  • Remember - State law requires that proof of up-to-date immunizations (or a valid waiver from the local health department) and hearing and vision screenings be presented before entering kindergarten.

    Proof of the following immunizations must be submitted for a child to enter kindergarten in Michigan:

    • Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTP): 4 doses are required. One dose must be on or after 4 years of age.
    • Polio: 3 doses are required. One dose must be on or after 4 years of age.
    • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR): 2 doses are required. One dose must be after 12 months of age.
    • Hepatitis B: 3 doses are required.
    • Varicella (Chicken pox): Two doses on or after 12 months of age.
    • If your child is not yet 5 years old at the time of enrollment, pneumococcal conjugate vaccination (PCVT, Prevnar) is also required. This is a requirement as of January 1, 2007.


    Entry Requirements for All Public Schools


    Vaccine **

    5 years through 6 years

    Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis

    4 doses DTP or DTaP
    one dose must be on or after 4 years of age


    4 doses, if dose 3 administered on or after 4 years of age, only 3 doses are required

    Measles*, Mumps*, Rubella*

    2 doses on or after 12 months of age

    Hepatitis B *

    3 doses



    Varicella* (Chickenpox)

    2 doses of Varicella vaccine at or after 12 months of age OR current lab immunity OR reliable history of disease

    *Current laboratory evidence of immunity is acceptable instead of immunization with antigen.
    ** All doses of vaccines must be given with appropriate spacing between doses and at appropriate age to be considered valid.


  • If a student has medically documented food allergies that restrict his or her diet, the restrictions or substitutions must be documented by a licensed physician and submitted to the Food Services Office before any changes will be made. The required forms are available in the Food Services Office at the KPS Administration Building, located at 1220 Howard St. or in your child’s school. For more information, please call (269) 337-0120.


  • Students with special health needs will benefit from communication between the family and the school staff before the first day of school. An individualized plan is best developed in advance to allow time for input from the health care provider and school staff who will be directly involved in the student’s school day. Please call the school or a Kalamazoo Public Schools’ nurse for elementary schools at (269) 337-0161.


    1. Meds  Administration of medication at school (whether prescription or over-the-counter) must be ordered by a physician and authorized by a parent or guardian. The required forms are available at your child’s school.
    2. Only those medications which cannot be scheduled around the school day will be given at school.
    3. Prescription medication must be in the original bottle with the pharmacy label on it.
    4. Non-prescription (over-the-counter) medications require written doctor’s instructions and parental permission. Medication must be in the original bottle with the original label.
    5. Refills for medications are the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
    6. Changes in the medication (dose, schedule, method of administration, or other information) must be submitted by filling out a new medication form.
    7. When medication is taken outside of school for relief of symptoms, it is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to notify the school so that the school staff knows when to give the next dosage.
    8. When possible, students should go to the office or the location where medications are kept to receive their medications.
    9. Students who wish to carry their own medications and self-administer must have authorization from both their health care provider and a parent/guardian. A form, available at the school, must be completed to authorize students to carry and self-administer medications.