Communities in Schools (CIS)
Communities In Schools of Kalamazoo (CIS) works directly inside 20 of our schools, helping vulnerable students, who are at the greatest risk of dropping out. They empower students to stay in school and on the path to graduation each year. Their trained site coordinators do this by partnering with teachers, mobilizing the community to offer students extra support, and doing whatever it takes to help them succeed. Their unique model works because it’s based on national research, driven by community relationships, and supported by local resources.
CIS believe that every child needs and deserves:
1. A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult.
2. A safe place to learn and grow.
3. A healthy start and a healthy future.
4. A marketable skill to use upon graduation.
5. A chance to give back to peers and community.