Excelsior LIVE - District News
Chef Shaun Shares Flavorful Recipe
HIs Sicilian Caponata is a sweet-and-sour take on the harvest.
Chef Shaun Robinson recently offered a cooking demonstration at the Master Gardeners Tomato and Pepper Taste-Off at Kalamazoo County Health and Human Service Dept. on Sept. 10. This recipe is a variation on the bruschetta he served at the taste-off.
Sicilian Caponata (Sweet-and-Sour Eggplant)
• 1 purple globe eggplant, about 14 ounces, unpeeled, sliced ½-inch thick
• 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Dill, fresh chopped
• 3/4 pound vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
• 3 tablespoons capers in brine, drained
• Garlic cloves. roasted
• 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
• Freshly ground black pepper and fine sea salt
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
Heat olive oil in sautee pan, sautee onion, garlic until tender. Add eggplant, sautee and toss for 5 minutes maximum or until tender. Add salt and pepper, sugar and vinegar and remaining ingredients, coat well. Serve at room temp, with gluten-free crackers or wrap in a corn tortillas for different twist.
Don't forget you can register for Chef Shaun's "Harvest Tapas" cooking class on Oct. 26 through Community Education. Sign up here.