Annual Notifications


Notification Regarding Staff Qualifications
Under the No Child Left Behind Act, parents have the right to request information on the professional qualifications of their children’s classroom teachers and the qualifications of any paraprofessionals who provide services to their children. Parents may request and receive information about: (a) whether the teacher is State-certified, (b) whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status, and (c) the baccalaureate major of the teacher and any other graduate degree or certification. Parents may request information on the level of achievement of their child in each of the State academic assessments. If a student attending a school that receives any Title I, Part A funds is assigned to, or taught, for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified, the school must provide timely notice to the student’s parents.


Inquiries to:

Human Resources
1220 Howard Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49008


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."
• Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools must honor your request to review your child’s education records within 45 days of receiving the request. Parents or eligible students should submit to the School principal a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The School official will make arrangements for access and notify the parent or eligible students of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
• Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading.  They should write the School principal, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate.  If the school decides not to amend the record as requested by the parent or eligible student, the School will notify the parent or eligible student of the decision and advise them of their right to a formal hearing regarding the request for amendment.  After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.
• Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions:
o School officials with legitimate educational interest;
o Other schools to which a student is transferring;
o Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
o Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
o Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
o Accrediting organizations;
o To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
o Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
o State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.


Disclosure of Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that the Kalamazoo Public Schools (KPS), with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your child’s education records. However, KPS may disclose appropriately designated “directory information” without written consent, unless you have advised the District to the contrary in accordance with District procedures. Directory information includes student’s name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized school activities and sports, weight and height of athletic team members, dates of attendance and previous school(s) attended. It is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released. The primary purpose of disclosing directory information is to allow KPS to include this type of information from your child’s education records in certain school publications. Examples include a playbill, showing your student’s role in a drama production; the annual yearbook; honor roll or other recognition lists; graduation programs; sports activity sheets, such as for wrestling, showing weight and height of team members.

Directory information can also be disclosed to organizations without a parent’s prior written consent. Outside organizations include, but are not limited to, companies that manufacture class rings or publish yearbooks.

In addition, two federal laws require us to provide military recruiters, upon request, with three directory information in three categories – names, addresses and telephone listings – unless parents have advised KPS that they do not want their student’s information disclosed without their prior written consent.

If you do not want KPS to disclose information from your child’s education records without your prior written consent, you must notify the district before the second week of the school year by writing to:
Kalamazoo Public Schools
Office of Administrative Information Systems
1220 Howard Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49008

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Documents:
Summary Document
FOIA Procedures Document
FOIA Fee Itemization Document

Non-discrimination, Harassment, and Accessibility Policy Page

Title IX Grievance Policy - HR and Student Services


For more information, please call the Office of Administrative Information Systems at 337-0146 or email