The mission of Lincoln International Studies School, an elementary magnet school focused on international studies, languages and technology, is to ensure that all children become responsible, self-motivated achievers through a challenging, enriched, and integrated curriculum that develops the unique talents of each child and celebrates diversity in partnership with staff, families, and community members in a safe, child-centered environment. Click the links below to learn more about Lincoln:
The Lincoln leaders expect that students will:
• Speak kindly, speak with respect for one another and always use appropriate language.
• Move with care and safety in the building, be on time, and take care of school property as well as the property of others.
• Find solutions which do not involve physical contact, listen to others and solve problems in a fair and reasonable manner.
• Keep themselves and others safe by using equipment properly, playing safe games and leaving dangerous items at home.
• Practice the pillars of success daily—Respect, Responsibility and Caring.
It is the law in the State of Michigan and the policy of the Kalamazoo Public School District that your child is in attendance and on time everyday. Please be advised that an educational neglect petition can be filed with the 9th Judicial Circuit Court (family court) if your child is not in school and on time consistently. Please review the following to familiarize yourself with our school attendance policy:
• School begins promptly at 8:00 am (first bell).
• Tardy bell rings at 8:13 am (second bell).
• A half-day absence (AM absence) will be recorded if your child comes to school after 10:00 am.
• A half-day absence (PM absence) will be recorded if your child leaves school before 2:30 pm. To assist us in verifying your child’s whereabouts, please contact the LISS office at 337-0640 by 9:00 am each day your child will be absent.
• Please send a note to school with your child on the day that he/she will be returning to class. Your note will be attached to our daily attendance form for verification. Either of the following is acceptable: Doctor/Dentist/Counseling appointment slip or Parent/Guardian note that indicates your child was not in school due to an illness or death in the family.
Parent/Teacher Organization and School Improvement Team:
All parents are invited and welcome to join the monthly PTO and SIT meetings. This is an excellent way to get involved in your child’s education and meet other families. PTO and SIT meet the fourth Monday of each month in the Library. Meeting time for SIT is 3:30—5:00 pm. Meeting time for PTO is 5:30—6:30 pm.
Meet the Challenge:
1. Stop by and check on your child during school.
2. Attend PTO and/or School Improvement Team (SIT) meetings.
3. Attend parent/teacher conferences.
4. Attend school assemblies.
5. Volunteer at school events. TEN (10) visits will get you one free Lincoln parent T-shirt! Thanks for being involved in your child’s school.
• A weekly calendar of events is sent home at the end of each week.
• Classroom and school newsletters are sent home frequently. Please check your child’s Friday Folder each week.
•Visit our website @ www.kalamazoopublicschools.com/lincoln
•Please contact the office to make an appointment to speak with the
principal, Mrs. Echols, classroom teachers, or support staff at 337- 0640.
1. High Expectations for Students and Staff
2. Higher Education Exposure
3. Meaningful and Engaging Homework
4. Everyone Reads/Literacy: Language Development, Reading, and Writing
5. Substantial Opportunities for Meaningful Parental Involvement
6. Education that is Relevant to, Reflective of, and Inclusive of Students
7. Development of Strong Problem-Solving Skills
8. Development of Success Skills: Metacognitive, Note-Taking, Study, Time Management, Organizational, and Test-Taking Skills