El Sol Elementary is part of the Kalamazoo Public School system. It is located in the historic Vine neighborhood near the center of Kalamazoo. The school offers instruction in two languages, English and Spanish. The program model is unique within the district and southwest Michigan. El Sol functions similarly to a magnet school, accepting students from all parts of the school district.
- Approximately half of the students at El Sol come from homes where Spanish is the primary spoken language and half from English-speaking homes.
- The school has extreme diversity even within language groups.
- El Sol is a Schoolwide Title I school with qualification based upon academic and economic needs (82 percent free or reduced lunches).
- All school communications are printed in both Spanish and English. Parent-Teacher Organization meetings are conducted in both languages.
- All teachers and school staff are bilingual. The school psychologist is bilingual and a staff member from the district's bilingual department is based at the school to facilitate home/school/community relations.
Students at El Sol Elementary will attain high levels of proficiency in their native language and in a second language, and meet or exceed district and state targets for achievement in all core academic areas. All students will demonstrate positve, cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
The El Sol Elementary calendar is currently hosted at Google. Click here to see the calendar.
Click here to see school breakfast and lunch menus.