Excelsior LIVE - District News
Health Department Sends Flu Letters
Kalamazoo County Has Been Hit Hard by the Flu-Like Illnesses
Kalamazoo Public Schools today sent home with students a letter from the Kalamazoo County Department of Health and Human Services urging parents to take precautions as the region deals with an outbreak of stomach and flu-like illnesses.
Common symptoms that students and staff have experienced include nausea, dry cough, fever, fatigue, sore throat, chills, headaches, body aches, and possibly diarrhea and vomiting.
In an effort to avoid the further spread of the virus or flu, the health department recommends the following precautions:
1. Keep your child home if he/she displays any flu-like symptoms and limit his/her contact with others if he/she is feeling ill;
2. Make sure that your child is fever free at least 24 hours without medications before returning to school; if your child has vomited or has diarrhea, he/she should wait 48 hours after the last episode before returning to school;
3. Please call the school and let us know when your child is sick and describe the symptoms;
4. Teach your child to cover his/her nose and mouth with tissue when he/she is coughing
5. Have your child wash his/her hands with soap and water before meals and throughout the
6. Disinfect doorknobs, faucets, sinks, counters, and keyboards.
If you have any questions and for additional information, contact the Kalamazoo County Department of Health and Community Services at (269) 373-5022 or www.kalcounty.com/hcs.
Read the complete letters in English and Spanish below.